Training is a vital component for successful implementation of EvoFIT. In addition to reference materials available on this web page, we run comprehensive training courses with assessment, or shorter application-training courses, to fit with our licence agreements.
EvoFIT PC / Laptop
EvoFIT courses are regularly available as a standard option for new users either off-site or our main training facility in Preston. Training caters for existing composite officers (2 ½ day course) or those who have not constructed composites with witnesses previously (5 day course). We provide a certificate of successful course completion.
The comprehensive (5 day) training course is run by Dr Frowd or one of the EvoFIT training team, and includes:
- Review of composite systems
- Theory behind face perception and issues related to face construction
- EvoFIT system training and software tool use
- Competence gained through extensive EvoFIT practice
- Role play interview and system practice
- Creation of identity sought (wanted) poster
- Problem-solving techniques
- Instruction and practice using a specific artwork (paint) program
- Creation of an identity sought poster
- Review of ACPO Facial Identification Guidelines
- The use of morphed, perceptual stretch and animated composites for media purposes
We have provided a series of short guides for police operatives to supplement product training and support:
- Holistic-Cognitive Interviewing (H-CI)
- Perceptual stretch and perceptual backdrop image (PBI) format
- Moving caricature (animated composite)
The following materials are available to download for EvoFIT use only. Included are instructional videos, to be used as part of practitioner training, and materials to support composite face construction with witnesses (who may also be victims of crime). It is recommended that users watch these training videos in the order listed below. Training materials are also provided as a series of PDF documents to download for further reference.
- Instructional videos for forensic practitioners:
- Welcome: Overview of process (Prep., Stage 1 and Stage 2). Contains an overview of the two-stage process used to interview and construct a composite with a witness. We advise that you watch this video first.
- Initial witness interactions (Prep. and Stage 1). Information and example interaction between practitioner and witness: preparation and face-recall interview.
- EvoFIT face construction (Stage 2)
These videos form a set of ordered chapters that describe the online system from start to finish. First, we provide an overview of the function of buttons and menu items (see A. EvoFIT system layout). Then, the recommended operational procedure is detailed. Chapters in this section include good practice, including the parts of a face a witness should focus on, where on an image a practitioner should click, the speed at which sliders should be moved, when hair should be added, when ears should be considered for adjustment, etc.
(Note that guidance about what to say to witnesses during face construction is provided in a separate section called Using EvoFIT with witnesses (Stage 2) below.)
- A. EvoFIT system layout
- 1. Selecting the face database and first generation
- 2. Second generation
- 3. Holistic tools (main scales)
- 4. Holistic tools (feature scales)
- 5. Holistic tools (main and feature scales)
- 6. Shape tool: Adjusting eyes and brows
- 7. Shape tool: Adjusting nose
- 8. Shape tool: Adjusting lips
- 9. Selecting database for hair, hat and hood
- 10. Candidate hairstyles and adjusting the brightness
- 11. Shape tool: adjusting the ears. Downloading the composite and closing the session.
These video chapters provide advise on the use of EvoFIT from start up to session close. They include suggestion about what to say to witnesses.
- 1. Selecting the face database and first generation through the system
- 2. Evolving into a second generation
- 3. Use of Holistic tools
- 4. The Shape tool
- 5. Selection and adjustment of hair, hat and hood
- 6. Adjusting the ears, and finishing up
- Using EvoFIT with witnesses (Stage 2): An example of what to say. This full-length video provides an example interaction between practitioner and witness using EvoFIT.
- Additional videos
- Session recovery. This video shows how to recover (recall) a session should your computer crash during face construction. You can recover any session started on a computer that has not been closed.
- Written training materials
The following documents in PDF format are intended for practitioners who prefer to have access to training materials in a written format. Each document contains a chapter that can be downloaded for reference and, if required, printed. Practitioners are also invited to download sections from the Supporting materials listed below.
- A. Welcome: Overview of process (Prep., Stage 1 and Stage 2)
- B. Initial witness interactions (Prep. and Stage 1)
- C. EvoFIT face construction (Stage 2)
- D. Using EvoFIT with witnesses (Stage 2)
- E. Session recovery
- Verbal description sheet. This form can be used to record face recall. Use one printed sheet for each witness. See instructional videos for more information.
- Review of facial-composite systems. This reference chapter provides background information to facial-composite systems and associated techniques.
GET IN TOUCH TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT TRAINING COURSES